My (ir)rational fear...

22:41

Phobias and fears have always interested me. What drives one specific person to be so scared of one specific thing? I'm claustrophobic. Though I've never been trapped in a small place my entire life to entice that fear. I'm afraid of heights. Yet I've never been dangling off a tall building fearing for myself. 


Yet I have one fear, that I have 1000 reasons to justify it. 


This blogpost is inspired by last nights weather. Just as we were about to head off to bed, there was a flash of lightening. An about 10 seconds later there was the loudest clap of thunder I've heard in a long time. Following it was another two ridiculously loud claps, and some torrentially heavy rain. I sat on the couchcuddling  with my mum, shaking. 

I've said previously in blogposts that growing up we had a caravan. And we were always taking holidays. And I don't know if you know much about caravans, but the walls are SUPER thin. So when you're inside, outside noises are no quiter inside. And you can only imagine how loud a thunderstorm would be. 

I have memories of many a thunderstorm, but one in particular sticks. I was about 6 or 7. We were on holiday at a campground in the middle of a forest when the storm started. And it just got louder and louder and the thunder was following the lightening quicker and quicker. It was the first time I remember my parents worrying for our safety- what if the lightening struck a nearby tree? How quick could we hook up the car and caravan and leave?

Lightening struck and almost at the same  time the thunder clapped. And the caravan shook. Mum and dad were stood up at the back of the caravan comforting us in our bunks- they almost fell over.   Thankfully the storm soon died down after that, and we could all go back to sleep (this was at about three in the morning). 

Unfortunately this wasn't my last close encounter with lightening - in year 10 (I think) my friend and I were walking accross the school field towards the carpark after school, and lightening struck maye 5 metres infront of us. Cue two scared girls running to their parents cars!

I think experiences like that must define some phobias- but so many others just appear with unexplained reasoning. 

Do any of you guys have weird unexplained phobias? Or your own near misses with lightening? Definitely leave a comment!

Xx

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's ridiculous: I've been on planes/travelled the world all by myself, am about to bring a BABY into the world solo (not ideal!), yet nothing, NOTHING scares me as much as spiders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still call for my dad whenever there's a spider in my room 🙊

      Delete

Like us on Facebook