The lead up to NZ Fashion Week.

08:36

I'm very much looking forward to New Zealand Fashion Week this year. This year, in general, is the first year in a very long time where I've had no exams or tests or studying to do and to be honest, it's put me off ever going back to tertiary education.

And seeing as I'm currently working part time (desperately searching for a full time job :( ) I have plenty of time to relax, do housework (-_-), watch faaaaar too much MTV and blog. But I also have a lot more time to sit back on my laptop, and catch up with world-y events. One thing I've taken advantage of, is my ability to be more up to date with Fashion Week's all around the world, and I have more time to sit back and appreciate them. 

And as much as I love all the international fashion shows (Chanel, Elie Saab, Burberry to name a few of my favorites), there always seems to be something so unique and special about homegrown, New Zealand designers showing off all their new goods. 

I say homegrown as in NZ, been here long enough now!

But as great as it is to see the big international brands, there's something so _____ about seeing Kiwi's break into the big, competitive fashion world.

Mercedes Benz are known for supporting major international fashion weeks (Paris, New York, Berlin and Sydney) and recently they announced who they gave this years 'Mercedes Benz Global presents' award. 



"The ‘Mercedes-Benz Presents’ global programme recognises designers who demonstrate dedication to the use of quality materials, unique style and innovative design. Past recipients of the prestigious honour include respected designers such as Carolina Herrera, Derek Lam, Badgely Mischka and Australia’s Carla Zampatti."

And those previous winners are a big deal. And what else is a big deal - Trelise Cooper was this years winner.  It just show's New Zealand has produced a world class designer of its own.

A favourite NZ fashion designer of mine is Karen Walker. I know so many girls who just adore her jewelry, and have their own collection adorning their hands. Thanks to my lovely pre-Europe spending ban, I've yet to purchase my own, but that doesn't stop me spending hours on end trawling through her website planning a purchase. Sorry not sorry.  




She recently launched her new line of sunglasses. And it's not just any old collection - with the launch, she announced she was helping the United Nations ITC Ethical Fashion Initiative to 'create work in community groups of micro-artisans located in the urban and rural areas of Kenya'.  Some gorgeous sunglasses that benefit others - perfect!

But Karen isn't only known for her jewelry and her sunglasses -she started out with a fashion line. Unfortunately, she isn't showing at fashion week, but there are soooo many other amazing designers to watch out for!

And in fact there's 71 different designers showing at NZ Fashion Week - so unbelievably exciting!



One of whom is Annah Stretton - who's has been invited as one of five international designers to show at Fashion Week in London - one fashion show I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for!

Who are you looking forward to seeing at NZ Fashion Week?

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook