An interview with Amber Whitecliffe

10:00

The week before last, I got to attend NZFW (I did blog about it (1,2,3) and I got to go to quite a few shows, and see a range of designers. But one designer that stood out to me and I fell in love with a few piece from was Amber Whitecliffe.  


I was lucky enough to interview Amber twice for the backstage blog (here and here), and I interviewed her again for a winter daze :)  She was so incredibly nice, and I can't wait to see whats next for her brand :)

How long have you been designing for?  Did you go to uni and study fashion design? Or did you pick it up and figure it out yourself?
I studied for 4 years at Whitecliffe College and graduated with a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) majoring in Fashion Design in 2009. I went to university thinking I was going to do Graphic Design but I took an elective in beginner sewing for fun. I hated sewing! Haha I found it so hard but I loved the designing aspect of it so decided to do my 3 year major in fashion-best decision ever!
 

Did you always want to be a fashion designer?
No but I have always had a love for creativity thanks to my family and knew that I would end up working somewhere in the creative industry.
 
What's you're favourite part of designing? Is it the actual conception of the design, the finished product, or a stage in between? My favourite part is at my photoshoots; its here I get to see the final product come to life! Not just the designs but the concept and vision for the whole collection-all the garments lined up together, the hair and make up, the fit etc!
 
How long does it take you to design a collection?
People always ask me this, I find it a hard question to answer because I never stop designing! It is a continuous cycle, I always have too many ideas so its more about a process of culling the weak ideas or pushing some designs back into the up next season!
 
What's you're favourite fabric to work with? and your favourite item to design?
Silks Dresses!
 

If you could collaborate with any other designer, dead or alive, who would it be?
Oh defiantly Coco Chanel! She was an incredible woman so ahead of her time.
 
If there's one fashion trend you wish would go away and never resurface, what would it be?
Oh MC Hammer pants! They are the most unflattering garment ever!
 
And opposite too - what trend would you like to stick around?
At the moment I am loving matching outfits-so a top and pants or a blazer and shorts in the same fabric.
 
If you had any advice for a young kiwi wanting to start designing and building their own brand, what would it be?
Get experience, save money and make sure that you love fashion so much that you couldn’t imagine doing anything else! Because the fashion world is a fun but tough industry with a long pathway to success, and you cant really cut corners!

amberwhitecliffe.com

 (ps you can buy 'Aroha' the Spring 2014 collection now)
xx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow, her collection is amazing. Must've been so lovely to have interviewed her! I loved reading this x

    Sunaina ❃

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook