BAKING | I baked a cake or two.

10:00

My dad has a system for sending us reminders and messages. He does it via email. Not one of those nice descriptive easy to understand emails. Nope. Its the bare minimum words required to get a message across. And last week was no different. '2 cakes Thursday'. That was it. Mum and I were left to ponder over that for the next few hours until dad was finally home. Turns out he wanted two cakes for meetings at work next Thursday (aka Today).


And I was set to the task of baking them. Simple enough you think. Until I went to the drawer to get the baking paper out and there wasn't enough. Cue a 20 minute brisk walk to the dairy and back through the rain to buy some more. 

But anyway, the cakes got made, and iced and I thought they were ridiculously cute and yummy looking I had to write about them. So here goes:

They were both made from the same recipe, though only two at a time.  The smaller round cake was a 3-egg recipe, and the larger square was a 4-egg recipe. What's a '3/4-egg' recipe, you may ask? 



In 'old fashioned' terms, basically a victoria sponge is made with a 1:2:2:2 ratio. One egg per 2 ounces of butter, flour and sugar. Don't ask what the metric alternative is. I have absolutely no idea.  What I can tell you is that one egg usually makes about 6 good sized cupcakes. TIP: when you get them out the oven and lightly press to see if it bounces back, make sure the cake very slightly squelches, for a better word. This means it'll be perfect and light inside.

All I did to 'decorate' them was fill them with butter cream and jam, and dust them with icing suger. Super yummy. Also very english. If they weren't for dad, I'd have a big wedge on my plate right now and a coffee to was it down with (or a cup of tea if you're a tea drinker!)

What's your favourite type of cake?

xx

EDIT: I finished writing this post, mum came home, and declared I had to bake a cake for us to keep! So three cakes in one day! One tired Tash.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook